Did you know?
Approximately 70% of those who abuse prescription medication get them from family or friends, often by taking them right out of the medicine cabinet. (SAMHSA, 2006)
Tips for Preventing Medication Misuse and/or Abuse
Lock It Up: Keep all of your current medications in a SAFE and SECURE location where others cannot access them. Ideally, a location than can be locked, such as a medication lock-box. For more information about the Lakes Region Lock It Up Campaign and medication safety, click here.
Know what you have: Keep track of the medication you are taking. Know what types of pills and how many pills are in each bottle. This will help you notice if pills are missing. If you are taking multiple prescription or over-the-counter medications, it is important to use a medication tracking form to record information about your medications, allergies, doctor contact information, etc.
Safe disposal: Regularly dispose of unwanted, expired, or unused medication. Utilize Laconia's FREE and ANONYMOUS medication disposal site at the Laconia PD. *FLUSHING is no longer recommended*
FREE and ANONYMOUS Local Medication Disposal
Thanks to the support of community partners such as LRGHealthcare for purchasing the disposal box, the Lakes Region Partnership for Public Health and Stand Up Laconia for promoting the box, the Laconia Police Department has a successful, permanent medication disposal program.
The medication collection box is located in the foyer of the Laconia Police Department at 126 New Salem Street, Laconia.
The following guidelines apply:
• Collection box is accessible 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
• Only prescription or over-the-counter medications are to be placed in the box.
• This VOLUNTARY collection process is FREE and ANONYMOUS.
• NO needles, syringes, or lancets will be collected in this box. If you need assistance on how to dispose of these items, please contact LRGHealtcare at 524-3211.
• The collection box is constructed in such a manner and of materials that make it tamper-proof.